Revised 10/29/2017 in accordance with TCNJ’s Governance Structure and Processes-2017 (Revision)
(LLC Course Approval Process is subject to change AY 2017-2018)
Courses with the following prefixes will automatically count for LL (Liberal Learning) credit as indicated. This ‘counting’ will be retroactive.
|Acronym||Liberal Learning Domain|
|BSCP||Behavioral, Social, and Cultural Perspectives|
|LVPA||Literary, Visual and Performing Arts|
|SCHP||Social Changes in Historical Perspectives|
|WVWK||World Views and Ways of Knowing|
- ANT (Anthropology)—BSCP
- CSC (Computer Science) —QR
- ECO (Economics)—BSCP
- POL (Political Science)—BSCP
- PSY (Psychology)—BSCP
- SOC (Sociology)—BSCP
- AAH (Art and Art History)—LVPA
- CMP (Comparative Literature)—LVPA
- LIT (Literature)—LVPA
- VPA (Visual and Performing Arts)—LVPA
- BIO (Biology)—NS
- CHE (Chemistry)—NS
- PHY (Physics)—NS
- SCI (Interdisciplinary Science)—NS
- MAT (Mathematics)—QR
- STA (Statistics)—QR
- HIS (History)—SCHP
- PHL (Philosophy)—WVWK
- REL (Religion)—WVWK
- AAS (African American Studies) – Race and Ethnicity
- INB (International Business) – Global
- INT (International Studies) – Global
- WGS (Women’s and Gender Studies) – Gender
Overview of Course Approval Process
- Submission Date. It is recommended that faculty members submit a proposal by the first day of the semester before they plan to offer the course to allow time for LL (Liberal Learning) designations to be available during the course registration period. Example: If the course will be offered fall 2018, faculty members should submit the proposal by the beginning of the spring 2018 semester.
- Mandatory Consultation.Faculty members should contact the LLCChair via email to review the approval process. The LLC Chair can be identified at https://governance.tcnj.edu/other-committees-and-councils/llc/. This consultation will help faculty members determine which type of proposal they plan to submit and the approval process recommended.
- There are three types of proposals, each with a different approval process recommended to expedite the decision-making process:
- Existing course requesting an LL designation. Example: Existing History course requesting the Gender (Civic Responsibilities) designation.
- New course requesting an LL designation that requires review by the faculty member’s School Curriculum Committee (see Advisory Procedures below). Example: New History course requesting the Gender (Civic Responsibilities) designation.
- New course requesting an LL designation that requires review by a different School Curriculum Committee or Council (see Advisory Procedures below). Example: New History course requesting the Global (Civic Responsibilities) designation.
- Note: A course can satisfy a maximum of two Civic Responsibilities (e.g., Gender and Race & Ethnicity).
|LL Designation Required||Curriculum Committee/Council|
|LVPA: Literary||Humanities and Social Sciences CC|
|LVPA: Visual & Performing Arts||Arts & Communication CC|
|Worldviews and Ways of Knowing||Humanities and Social Sciences CC|
|Behavioral, Social or Cultural Perspectives||Humanities and Social Sciences CC|
|Social Change in Historical Perspective||Humanities and Social Sciences CC|
|Natural Sciences||Science CC|
|Quantitative Reasoning||Science CC|
|Gender||Humanities and Social Sciences CC|
|Global||Global Engagement Council|
|Race & Ethnicity||Humanities and Social Sciences CC|
|Community Engaged Learning (CEL)||CEL Council|
Course Approval Application Documents
Cover Sheet. Use the attached template: LLC Course Approval Cover Sheet and Checklist. A Microsoft Word version of this template can be downloaded and edited by clicking Here.
As noted on the Cover Sheet, faculty members must provide a detailed rationale indicating how specific learning activities in the course help students realize the LL designations requested.
Course Approval Documentation. See requirements on attached Cover Sheet.
Course Syllabus (with translations where applicable). See instructions on attached Cover Sheet.
Written Assignments/Projects. It is recommended that faculty include assignments/projects described on the syllabus that supports the LL outcomes. These documents may help members of review Committees/Councils evaluate the extent to which the course satisfies the learning outcomes for the requested LL designation(s).
School Curriculum Committee Review (if applicable). This applies only to new courses requesting an LL designation that requires review by the faculty member’s own School Curriculum Committee (see Advisory Procedures above). If applicable, include the Liberal Learning Review Form provided by the School Curriculum Committee.
Note: Faculty are required to submit a complete LLC application even if LL outcomes are reviewed by their School’s Curriculum Committee. If faculty members are requesting additional LL designations that require review by other Committees/Councils, the LLC will request additional reviews when the application is submitted to the LLC Chair.